Thursday, June 26, 2008

DJB

Sometimes I walk alone at night
When everybody else is sleeping
I think of him and then I'm happy
With the company I'm keeping
The city goes to bed
And I can live inside my head

On my own
Pretending he's beside me
All alone
I walk with him 'til morning
Without him, I feel his arms around me
And when I lose my way, I close my eyes and he has found me

...

I love him
But every day I'm lonely
All my life I've only been pretending
Without me, his world will go on turning
The world is full of happiness that
I have never known

I love him...
But only on my own...

I remember going to see this production years ago; watching an 17 year old sing this song as if she were singing about her own life. Music...music has a way into your heart and it stays there. We hear certian pieces and reflect back or smile when a certain someone/situation 'pops' onto your head. Music is the camera the in your mind, it allows you to reflect on your life and remember times that you never thought you would recollect. Then seconds to minutes later you snap back into reality and have a tear in your eye or a smile on your face and realize that hearing that particular song just made your day.

Lately, I have been meeting more people who truly care for music the way I do, and sometimes more. This is a blessing. For the past couple weeks, in our office, we played sad songs. Nothing else, no one wanted anything butt. Watching Airplanes by Gary Allen; Open Arms by Colin Ray; Anywhere but Here by Chris Cagle; Home by Blake Shelton. These songs help us get through the days, it is what music is there for.

Yesterday's post, I mentioned DJ and how not a day goes by where I didn't wish he would walk through the doors of where ever I am. This song came on today, and immediatly DJ came to mind...he is dating, so that leaves me 'on my own'. DJ, he I will always care about. He will be the one that let me hide behind him during a thunderstorm, made be burp a lobster, started my shower in the morning so I could spend more time talking to his father, and will always be the guy I fell in love with and never got to date.

The first time we ever hung out alone, I drove to his place in Dulles and he drove us to a pub/bar to hang out. Ever since that night I always wanted to be beautiful to him. There was something about him that was different. He had the 'bad boy' exterior, but he was the softest, kindest guy you could meet. DJ was nothing but kind to me, and for the longest time I thought it was because his best friend was one of my closest friends and boss. DJ became this guy I would drive 2 hours for, just to have a beer and hang out for a couple hours than drive an hour and a half home. He was different.

In the end, I am truely thankful I have him as a friend, and one I hope I never lose.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I have been wondering how things were going with you. Awww, Kelly. I miss you. If you ever get sick of it there, we will adopt you and take you in. :) You can be Aunt Kelly. And there are some nice guys in the military. I will help you weed through them.