Thursday, January 7, 2010

Watch out for the Crazy's

Growing up in Upstate New York, there are things you learn that people in other parts of the country never have the opportunity to. Such as driving in the rain, snow, sleet, and on black ice. To an Upstate New Yorker, being able to do this, and do it well is a must. Places such as D.C., Phoenix, Dallas/Fort Worth - not so much.

I am now living in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, and have learned rather quickly that people, to put it nicely, are morons. When you are told there is black ice on the roads, that doesn't mean slam your foot on the accelerator. Really people! Let's use some brain power here. Before getting up this morning, I called my boyfriend, and he said wait till the crazy's are off the road before heading in. Growing up, I never recall my parents saying "what until the crazy's are off the road." That and it could snow three feet and school still wouldn't be canceled!

Well sure enough, as I lay in bed, schools were closing left and right due to slick roads. My drive to work - 40 minutes. (Same as a typical day.) Roads were find. Yes, there were some slick parts, but when you know what to look for, you know how to drive.

Growing up, at least when we had a snow day, we actually had a good amount of snow to occupy our day. I am pretty sure both, kids and parents, were thankful for that!

As I continue to live on the places other than Rochester, I will have to watch out for the crazy's out there. I strongly urge everyone else to do the same. (Now I am not saying I am a saint, I am just a step above moron!)

After all - as my father very appropriately quoted a great country song: "God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy!"
Song: People are Crazy by Billy Currington

1 comment:

Kari said...

We sure did learn a lot living in ROC. thank goodness, cuz now we know a moron when we see one