Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Reports Cards

When going through all those years of school, the one thing I dreaded the most was report cards. You always knew how you were doing, but this was the time you actually had to face it. And when those grades weren't so hot, you knew you weren't going to have a good weekend. However, you kept telling yourself, once you grow up, you never have to deal with that any more. Little do you know there are these things called annual reviews!

The email goes out during lunch that today is the day, starting at 1:00pm people would be called into the EVP's office for their review. Now if you look at my past....I have never really had a review where you are called into an office. EJK, my VP handed me the review paperwork and told me to fill it out and he would sign it. Not much of a review. WJ, I was emailed my review and asked to review it and to let my boss know if I had any questions. Not this time, this time I had to sweat it out and wait to be called into the bosses office.

My heart was racing, I was thinking back through the three months I have been here...have I done well? Did I do what was expected? You know, all the things you don't think about on a typical day. About 2:00 my phone buzzed and sure enough, the boss was calling me in. Now my heart was really racing. As I was walking down the hall, all I could do was work on placing one foot in front of the other and think "don't trip!". (Yes, I was a bit nervous.)

My review went well. The boss smiled at me when I walked in...which was reassuring. But as I sat there, I brought me back to report cards. I don't have to bring it home to my parents anymore, but I am still being graded. Am I worth keeping around? Is my work satisfactory or above average? Thankfully, I am worth keeping around, and my boss likes my work! But it just shows you, school...even though you may have graduated, it doesn't mean it gets any easier. School is just the beginning of what life holds. It is the stepping stones to your future. And yes, I get all this from report cards.

I still don't like them!

1 comment:

Kari said...

Very true, very insightful, and boy oh boy it hurts that are parents told us this a million times growing up. But I never doubted for a second that you wouldn't have a great review.