Thursday, July 12, 2007

Small Things

It always amazes me how it really is the small things that make me smile. As you all know, I live in the desert, it is hot here, and the one thing that tends to burn you is your car. (big shocker, i know!) I ended up purchasing two things I told myself over my driving year I would never buy...a wheel cover and one of those sun blocker things for your window. The sun blocker is now the metallic silver fan fold one, it is the "pop-up" style one that folds into a small circle so you can store anywhere out of the way. Well, for the longest time I couldn't fold that sucker properly, so I just threw it in my back seat. Yesterday, I arrived at work and put it in my window, as usual. When I went to leave for lunch, I was able to fold it on the second try! I was elated. I was able to fold the thing. I have been trying to do this for two months. (You think I am moron, you try it!) At lunch, I popped it back on the window - again, who wants to burn themselves. After lunch, I was able to fold it on the first try! There are no words for how happy I was. Again, it is the small things!

As I have mentioned before, I have decided to volunteer my time through AASK. Through AASK, I am a "special friend" to a foster child serving as a mentor. I have been going through a long application process, background check, fingerprint check...the whole shabang. I believe this all began in March. It is now July, and last night I met the foster child I will be working with. There is much paper work to be read before Saturday, my first time to really hang out with him, but last night was a whole new experience for me. I have been on a mission trips and seen different living conditions. However, last night was completely different. Usually when I have been out seeing these conditions, I am with a group of people that are thrilled to see the group of kids we were working with. I met the boy's guardian last night, and she didn't have that excitement in her that I am used to seeing...but again, this is typical for what I am doing. It is just heart breaking. On mine 40 minute car ride home I felt stupid for being frustrated that my television broke the night before and so on. My goal is to find a new appreciation through this child, and I truly hope we learn so much from each other!

Have a great Thursday all!

No comments: