Thursday, November 12, 2009

Hey Y'all!

So much has changed since I last wrote. The biggest change of all, I have taken a new job and moved to Texas. I have been here for a little over a month now, and my routine is shaping up rather nicely.

So far, I have kept busy. Which is for the best, might I add. Moving to a location where you know few people, and those you know are your old co-workers...it can be tough. The old co-workers are not true friends that you can call when low or call at any point just to say hi. It is as if you are starting fresh, even with them. When it boils down to it, no friends and no family, yet here I am...happy.

My boss is incredible. He is kind, yet stern. Certainly not the guy that will sugar coat a mistake when you make one! Straight and to the point. It never leaves you guessing, so that is a plus. My boss invited me along with 10 other people to the Dickies 500 (Nascar) at the Texas Motor Speedway - needless to say, I was thrilled. Any car big car race (Nascar, Indy Car) they are all day events, and they are what you make of them. Boss knew I am an Indy Car fan, reason for the invite, and I was grateful. The Dickies 500 was my first Nascar race, and I was delighted to be there. It is tough to beat a full day of entertainment along with fried chicken and a frosty beverage!

My job is great. What I am doing is similar to what I did when I lived in DC, with a twist. Instead of planning conferences and inviting speakers, I help plan board meetings. Find the locations, plan the food, activities - the "fun" stuff. Yes, it has only been a month or so, but I am happy. Even though 95% of the office does not like me. Two people like me. The accountant and my boss. When it boils down to it, that is all I need, and I am happy.

Bart, you might be wondering how Bart took the move. He is a trooper, that's for sure! In our new apt, he has something he hasn't had before - a patio. Yes, I have had patios in past apartments, however, Bart was not allowed on them without being roped up and supervision. This patio, he can see through the railing, so I don't have to worry about him jumping up and over the railing on accident. He LOVES that patio. If he could spend all his days out there, watching birds, dogs, people - you name it - he would be in heaven!

I am still getting used to all the adjustments, but I am getting there. Slowly, but surely.

Leaving Phoenix was tougher than I thought it would be. It was quick. My friends found out that I was leaving after I gave my two week notice - for my friends/family in Phoenix were co-workers. Telling Anita, the person I saw more than anybody else, that was beyond tough. And telling her I was going to be gone...like really leave for TX my last day of work in Phoenix, that sucked. We still talk, and email just about every day. But I miss having someone around like her. We knew what foods eachother liked and how we liked them, what we did when we were stressed/mad/sad, how to make each other laugh, we knew when to make the other person take a break. Anita probably knows me the best, of any person I know due to how closely we worked together and how much time we spent together due to work. That type of friendship is rare, but I am glad I found it.

Anywho. Many changes have taken place, and now I am starting over. New location. New identity. It will be interesting to see how Texas is after a year.