Wednesday, July 5, 2006

subfloor check

I get home last night a little after 7 and this is when my butt decides to finally rip up a piece of carpet in a corner to check out the subfloor. At 7:30 I was calling my father to tell him there is the old school 8” block hardwood flooring under the horribly stained carpet! I was thrilled. Had I known this, the carpet would have been ripped up before I moved all my crap in last year. Dad brought over a wheel barrel as I began to rip that carpet up. Last night we got the dining room, entrance to my place (which I part of the living room), and the hallway ripped up. That means tack stripping too. I have stepped on my fair share of tack stripping – and didn’t feel like repeating that or getting a tetanus shot (which I am over due for – funny how these projects make you remember those things!!). Tonight, I am going to move all my furniture in my living room and get the rest of the carpet up. Then I will only have carpet in the two bedrooms.

The floor is in good shape. I will have to rent an orbital sander and re-stain/seal it. So tonight – finish ripping up carpet, get all the staples out of the floor, and then clean it with ammonia (a couple times!). As to why they used so many staples with the padding, I don’t know – nor do I care, because, I am making it look pretty again!! I was thrilled to see the flooring. Some spots will need repair, and since they don’t make the floor anymore, I might carpet one or both bedrooms to use some of the flooring to repair the hallway. I will take pictures and post tonight. Got to have the before and after shots!!!

My goal is to have it ready to sand by Sunday. Do repairs on Saturday – sand Sunday. Then stain a couple nights next week, and keep Bart at the parent’s house. I don’t want paw prints on my floor like I have them on my window sills. Cute cat.

Okay – work here I come. I hope everyone has a good day. Oh, and if you feel like lifting furniture or being a staple taker outer with me, I will buy the beer and food!

No comments: