Sunday, November 7, 2004

End of another week

Well this week goes along with every other work week. I hate to be the downer, but that is what I feel I am . I go to work smiling, like I try to always do, but now people are seeing right through me. They see that I am not happy and I am doing everything in my power to smile. And that is exactly true. I don't feel like smiling most days at work. Especially now that the holidays are coming up and work will get even worse. We are short on help and the help that we have, the moral is so low. Every night I am going to bed trying to figure out how to make them, everyone happy. Today I spent an hour talking to one employee who is just hating life as a whole. He hates school, work, and his car is in the shop. (for a guy, that is bad when in high school)

Last week I was in Rochester seeing with my own two eyes, a team of people that work together and care for each other. The week was very overwhelming with everything I was seeing for the first time, and everything I had/have to learn. I didn't want to come back. I liked being an an environment where it was happy, and people were happy to see you. Insead I was coming back to a place where I didn't want to let my boss down or let myself down. And now I am back and I am not happy at work. We had an all day meeting on Monday talking about team work and communication and there still is none. We can make all the communication notebooks in the world, and it still won't work. It won't work until we all get on the same freakin page and we all want it. And honestly, I don't see that happening. I may sound pessimistic, but I am sorry it is true. Too many people have given up and don't care anymore. That leaves the two or three of us to pick up their slack, and that right now is nearly impossible. I am getting frustrated with coming home every night with work to do. I am not going to do it anymore. The notebook is sitting next to me, and all I want to do is throw it across the room. I don't want to see it or think about it. Now don't get me wrong. I feel like I am doing a job that is more towards my major, and I am glad about that, but that doesn't mean I am liking it at the moment. I believe I still did the right thing by moving down (over, up, whatever) here, I am just trying to make it a happy place to work. And as much as I hate to be the one to say it, but this is one thing that does have to happen at a snap of a fingure, and I did inform upper management of that. It needs to change by yesterday. No joke.

Words of Wisdom:
Be thankful. Remember, even though we have our bad days or weeks...there are people out there that are having to deal with situations that we don't even consider.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kell, Just remember, your job is to first make yourself happy. Don't worry about pleasing everyone at work. Just focus on making that smile true and real.

Here's some help.

"Cause we're running just as fast as we can. Holdin' onto one another's hand. Trying to get away, into the night. Then Julie puts her arms around me and we tumble to the ground and then we say,'I think we're alone now.Let's get into trouble while no one's around.'"

Love you girl.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly!
There are days/weeks where we are all very fed up with work and have the feeling that we are not making progress. The thing you have to keep in mind is where you will be in the long-run. Eventually, the area you are in, the customers that shop there, and the employees you have will become "Wegmanized" and it will be just like working in Pittsford or another Rochester store. It might not happen next month or year, but with people like you working there with a positive attitude and a smile, guarenteed it will happen! Thats the only advice I have for you. Good luck and keep up the great work :-)