Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Music

I can sit down with a friend and have a discussion about music last all day. There is this magic behind it that is just amazing. Music makes you smile, laugh, and cry. With all the different formats and tones, it just lets your emotions run wild. Music equals fascination.

A good song writer, to me, has the ability to write a song that has a personal meaning to them and the listeners are able to relate to it. Who doesn’t enjoy a good love song when they are in the beginning stages of dating and everything is perfect or a good breakup song when that “perfect” relationship is over. Or the songs that you want to belt out at the top of you lungs when you are driving down the street. Music brings joy to so many people, and it is something that I don’t know if I could ever live with out.

I overheard someone mention that they don’t like music. I was stunned, who could say such a thing? I tie music to my memories. When I hear Yackity Yak or Purple People Eater, it reminds me of the times when my brother and I would perform little concerts for my parents (mom and dad, I am sorry we made you listen to us ruin perfectly good songs) and when I hear Say My Name it takes me back to Purdue and dancing like an idiot in my friends dorm room. Hundreds of songs have these fun, idiotic memories that I never want to forget, and with out those songs I wouldn’t have them. So when I hear someone say they don’t like music, it crushes me.

Music can turn your horrible day into a good one; it can turn your tears into a smile. Listen to the lyrics; see what they mean to you. I enjoy all formats of music, and yes I enjoy my country as well. As always, give it a chance. It isn’t about the dog dying, my truck broke down…it has good meanings behind them. Place memories to the songs you hear when you are out with friends, or when you are home working through something. Music can play an important role in your life, and if you are one that doesn’t care for it, give it a fresh chance.

No comments: