Saturday, March 11, 2006

Oil and Water

Today will not be the most fun day - but it is the time of year when you have to do what you don't want to...Taxes. Last year I had to do two states (NY & VA). Lucky me gets to do two states again. I must be a moron - because I have a difficult time with taxes as it is - so to move to another state, knowing very well that tax time will be a pain, it just screams moron! Thank goodness I have a father who is very patient with me and helps me. Even if it means dealing with me on the phone for a couple hours until they were done!

On another note...
I finally got around to reading an article from last Sunday's paper, it was the cover of the Style section. That is a section I typically don't look at - but it was pointed out to me. The article was titled Book of Bart. This article was about Bart Ehrman traveling around and writing 19 books trying to prove that the Bible is too inconsistant to be true and that anyone that follows it is cheating themselves. Ehrman used to be a preacher, and spent the beginning of his college life at Moody Bible Institute in Chicago. His latest book is Misquoting Jesus - one I want to buy to hit him with. People can believe what they want...we aren't out there to judge, well at least we shouldn't be (who are we to judge). I upsets me to know that there are agnostics trying to turn people against something they have followed and believed most of their lives. We shouldn't try to push what we believe on others. Religion is something that is typically so important in one's life - and trying to upset them and take that away is so wrong. Everyone needs to respect people for what they believe, and in return, those who believe should not try to throw thier beliefs on those that don't.

At the end of the article, Bart Ehrman said that there has been a void in his heart once he decided not to believe. He has tried to fill that void with friends and family - but it is still there. My question to him - why, when you were happy with your faith would you turn it away and then go to write 19 books about how we are all morons for believing what has been taught to us?

My word of the week: MORON

1 comment:

liam said...

i like this bart erhmann, my kind of people. i think he is right. if your are beleiving bogus crap you should be told